Thursday, October 19, 2006

I am not cut out for politics - Sudha Murthy

Sudha Murthy has carved out her own niche. She is not simply the wife of Narayana Murthy, but a woman who has shaped her own destiny. In an e xclusive interview with Prerna Shah, she talks about living the simple life.

Simple life
Simplicity comes naturally to me, I don't have to make an effort. That is because I come from a very middle class family. I don't believe in ostentatious displays of wealth – no one earns money just to show off.

Grandparents were an inspiration
My grandfather was a teacher; he and my grandmother lived in a village. They would describe the Somnath temple in intricate detail. But I later realised that they had never been to the temple, they never did in their lifetime. They were content with their life and I never once heard them grumble about anything.

Giving it away
In order to do charity, one must have his or her basic needs met. Many people think there is no big money going into charity from India, like the US. But I believe that as Indians we have begun experiencing wealth relatively later than the US or UK. When I see youngsters today, I am filled with a lot of hope. If they receive a good education and find promising jobs then they will certainly look forward to doing charity. But at the same time, I want every child to have an access to education, to a brighter future, and this privilege shouldn't be restricted to the moneyed few.

Politics isn't for me
I am not cut out for politics. I don't have those qualities. I like to concentrate on what I am doing now – working on projects that bring about a socio-economic change. And of course writing.

Gujarat beckons
I have a special regard for the state. It has a strong social work foundation and the people come across as simple and unassuming individuals. I also find their 'value for money' attitude very endearing. There is another bond – the Gujarati translation of my work sells very well!

What women want
I am always asked this question and I believe it is an important one. According to me, women want to be in charge of their destinies, they want change.

Original story

No comments: