Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Bangalore name change is not important - Murthy

Infosys chief mentor Narayana Murthy today wanted the Karnataka government to show the same enthusiasm in improving the city's infrastructure as it displayed in changing the city's name to Bengalooru.

Talking to reporters, he said it did not matter to him by what name the country's IT hub was called.

"For me, changing the name is not important. As a Kannadiga and as a person who speaks Kannada at home, you always called it Bengalooru. So I don't think that matters much," Murthy said.

He rather wished that "all this energy, enthusiasm and debate" (over name change), instead, takes place on how to improve city infrastructure, road safety, health care and education.

"I would say those are the issues that should be debated rather than Bangalore or Bengalooru," the software icon said. "This (name change) is a very easy thing. Government can issue an order and change it. That does not require any hard work".

Asked whether he was not in favour of the name change or he was not proud of it, Murthy said: "This is immaterial to me. This is not what I would spend my time on. I would spend my time on improving the quality of life of every Bangalorean....".

Original story

No comments: